Lignosulfonate (Lignosulphonate) is used in many processes and products and seems to be a chemical under considerable development. It works on the surface of particles, both in dry systems and in water solutions. In dry systems lignosulfonate forms a layer on the particle surface, thus increasing the particle size and making the particles bind together. In water solutions the hydrophobic parts of the molecules bind to the dispersed particle, while the hydrophilic part bind towards water and thus the particle is kept in solution.
1. The largest use of this substance is as a cement additive where it binds to the surface of the cement particles and delays the absorption of water, which is the hardening. The additive also influences the structure of the hardened cement. That is to say The single largest use for lignosulfonates is as plasticizers in making concrete,where they allow concrete to be made with less water (giving stronger concrete) while maintaining the ability of the concrete to flow. Lignosulfonates are also used during the production of cement, where they act as grinding aids in the cement mill and as a rawmix slurry deflocculant (that reduces the viscosity of the slurry).
2. Lignosulphonate also used in lead batteries where some tenth of a percent of lignosulfonate acts on crystallization of the lead sulfate so that the battery gets a much longer life-time.
3. Lignosulphonate is used as a filler and binder in ceramic tiles, resins to fiber boards, casting sand and in fodder pellets.
4. A large use is for dust-suppression roads as well as in dusty processes within industry. Lignosulfonate is used as a dispersant in products like fodder, disperse pesticides, dyes,carbon black, and other insoluble solids and liquids into water
5. It is used in industrial management of slurry, where addition of the substance facilitates pumping and separation of water in e.g. concrete.
6. Lignosulfonates also have complexing properties and are used in ppm-concentrations to prevent scaling in hot and cooling waters and to keep micro-nutrients in solution in liquid fertilizers.
7. lignosulfonates to reduce the viscosity of mineral slurries is used to advantage in oil drilling mud, where it replaced tannic acids from quebracho (a tropical tree).
8. lignosulfonates are also used for the production of plasterboard to reduce the amount of water required to make the stucco flow and form the layer between two sheets of paper. The reduction in water content allows lower kiln temperatures to dry the plasterboard, saving energy.
9. Lignosulphonates could work as a binder of powder and granular materials: for iron ore powder, lead and zinc powder, pulverized coal, coke Toner pressure on the ball; extrusion of cast iron, cast steel sand repression; mud-brick wall and floor tiles molding; mineral aggregate into a ball and provides high strength, good stability, lubrication and mold good results.
10. Oxidation of lignosulfonates from softwood trees produced vanillin (artificial vanilla flavor).